Estonia is an amazing place in the Baltic region of Northern Europe, with colourful history and fascinating people. Have a joyful spin over Estonia and discover positively surprising facts about this small country on the coast of the Baltic Sea.
- Geographically, Estonia is on the north-eastern edge of the European Union. Finland is a short trip across the sea – just 80 km by ferry.
- Estonia has a population of about 1.3 million but its area is larger than Denmark or Netherlands.
- Estonia is one of the most dynamic countries among the new member states of the European Union. It is well-known both for its innovative drive and cosy living environment as well as the notable sense of humour of its inhabitants.
- Estonia is an e-society, with electronic ID-cards, e-government, e-health, e-school, e-parking etc. Most people use e-banking, pay parking with a mobile phone and pay taxes, or even vote, online. The Skype software was developed by Estonian engineers. Wireless internet access can be found everywhere.
- The Estonian language is a Finno-Ugric language – resembles Finnish most and is different from Latvian and Russian languages.
- Along with Icelandic, Estonian is at present one of the smallest languages in the world that fulfils all the functions necessary for an independent state to ‘perform’ linguistically. It is also the language of modern science (molecular biology, astronomy, phylosophy, computer science, semiotics, etc.).
- Estonia boasts a long tradition of providing quality education. Its vibrant and international education and research environment, endowed with the latest developments in information technology makes Estonia an attractive place for people looking to work and study abroad.
- Estonia has plenty to offer and there’s a lot of information available. Getting through it all may be quite a task, so we have rounded up the most important websites for you to have a look:
STUDY IN ESTONIYA:
A total of 90% of international students are satisfied with their overall living and studying standard in Estonia! (global average 88%)
WORK IN ESTONIA:
It takes only about 20 minutes to found your own company online and 99% of banking is done online! Tallinn is Europe’s hottest start-up capitals!
RESEARCH IN ESTONIA:
Vibrant and international research environment – Estonia has PhD students from more than 50 countries in the world!
VISIT IN ESTONIA:
Estonia is the country with the cleanest air in the world (according to WHO ranking) and has over 1,500 islands for you to visit!